Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Love Triangles and Me.

There are three things that I find myself constantly talking about to anyone who will listen: 1- Politics 2- Black People 3- Black Love. Even when I'm in line at the grocery store, even when I'm in class, and even when I'm at the club, any combination of these three things are on my mind. I don't love these three topics individually, though. I love them as one, because to me, you can't discuss one without discussing at least one other.


You see, whenever we talk about Black people, we're talking about politics. Being Black is being political, both when we talk positively and negatively about us.Whether we're discussing the low numbers of Black students on college campuses or being the first Black anything to do something thats been in existence for the past 300 years.

When we talk about the relationships we have with one another, our Black experiences inform that conversation, even when we don't realize it. For example, the way that I interact with my boyfriend (next time I have one) or my best friend is an extension of a whole host of social issues that have shaped the way that I view the world as it relates to my sense of self and, by extension, my sense of Blackness.

And don't tell me that Black Love isn't a political action, because the majority of our prison systems, foster systems, and every other system that denotes a breakdown in the Black community, relies heavily on us not loving each other enough. Simply put, Black Love is a form of resistance.

Even though I'm caught up in a love triangle with Politics, Black folks, and Black Love, trying to better understand their relation to one another, I believe, has helped me be stronger in all three areas. It's also facilitated my obession with the Obama family, who so effortlessly demonstrates an even understanding of all three with dignity, no less.

Say what you want about the Obamas not representing the interests of Black folks enough, but watching them has helped me shape my vision of my future as an advocate for Black people and even as a wife. Barack and Michelle have reminded me that Black love and, more importantly, the Black family has been one of the greatest political battles we have fought for, stemming from the first trip across the middle passage.



Oh, how they've tried for centuries to keep the Black family broken and, consequently, make true Black Love seem unattainable. I don't mean to imply that we've never seen an example of a Black family before, but the Cosby's weren't real, and Will and Jada have some kind of freaky swinger stuff goin' on (I do love them, though).

Watching Barack and Michelle hold hands with their children after he accepted the nomination was the realest and most substantial thing I've ever seen on TV and they, believe it or not, are real people on the American stage. Wow.

So with pride, I'm re-dedicating myself to my three loves because I truly do believe that they are essential to the forward progression of Black people. We need to invest ourselves into understanding where we fit into American society and the world at large. We need to hold each other accountable for being political and fight to change what we don't like about how we're fitting in. Most importantly, we need Black Love and strong Black Families for the continuation of our genes if, for nothing else, to keep us motivated to fight the good fight.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Going back to the days when we were roommates and we used to argue about everything political involving the staus of Black People, it's weird reading your blog because for once we are in agreement. Funny how time changes people but everything happens for a reason and I'm sure your unique perspective on life and politics will touch a lot of people.