Monday, September 15, 2008

The "C" word

In church this Sunday, Pastor John over at F.A.M.E told the story of shamed Detroit Mayor, Kwame Kilpatrick, who was caught up in a vicious sex scandal and was brought down in the worst way from office... Think the Michael Vick of politicians.

Not quite sure where Pastor John was going with this, I was surprised when he highlighted a quote that had been stated by Kilpatrick, "...Detroit you have set me up for a comeback." I heard a couple of people in the church sigh and "pssh" at this, just like you may be.


Though Kilpatrick clearly isn't the posterchild for good Christian boys and certainly didn't place his statement in a religious context, Pastor John's sermon expanded on Kilpatrick's quote as holding a deeper meaning- that we are constantly just being set up for a come back, even when times are tough, and even when as a result of our own bad choices.





Although this isn't exactly a new revelation in the church, it got me thinking of all the times I've made "comebacks," and realized that most of them have been small, albeit significant. My greatest revelation, however, is that while we may be set up for our respective comebacks, the ensuing comeback may not be the comeback we were expecting. Unfortuantely, the fact that we don't make it back to where we exactly envision ourselves, sometimes blinds us to the fact that we've made any sort of comeback at all.


Of course, I don't claim to be a spiritual guidance counselor, but I can't help but think that our unwillingness/inability to see that we've made comebacks in our lifetime is a key reason why some of us may never reach our full potential. We get so caught up in what we think we haven't accomplished that we don't realize that we could be doing so much more in the positions that we're currently in. In short, we become our biggest haters- like we ain't spit if we aren't homeowners six months after college graduation.

Aside from the obvious feelings of self-pride that recognizing when we've made comebacks will generate, doing so, I believe, should also keep us from making the same mistakes and on a forward path. For example, if only I believed a little more how much I've bounced back (made a comeback) from my recent break-up maybe I wouldn't feel so compelled to slip back into a negative place when it comes to my thoughts on the relationship. Maybe if my friend *John* recognized how much he's improved in class, even if by a couple tenths of a grade point, he would be more motivated to study a little harder.

Even though I'm not down with all the bull that landed Kilpatrick in the sticky situation he's in now, I hope his prediction about himself is right. More importantly, if he doesn't end up back where he was, I hope he doesn't take it as a big L, because it would be anything but that. Lastly, I hope that we stop hating on ourselves long enough to recognize our own comebacks, because that's the key to our inevitable success, no matter what that may look like.







No comments: